The main goal of the Proof of Concept (PoC) is to test the capacity of the European Raptor Biomonitoring Facility for pan-European monitoring in raptors. The Proof of Concept is specifically testing the capacity to assess spatial variation in contaminant residue levels across Europe, based on a 100x100 km grid.
The PoC will test the capacity to:
- obtain raptor samples from collections and other institutions (the Collections Arena),
- fill gaps in spatial coverage through new field acquisition of samples (the Field Arena),
- coordinate shipping of samples (both within countries and internationally) from collections and other institutions to toxicology laboratories (the Analysis Arena);
- analyse samples following agreed quality controls (the Analysis Arena);
- and to interpret results at European scale.
The study will focus on one family of pesticides (anticoagulant rodenticides) and two heavy metals (mercury and lead).